N THIS ISSUE:
• Back in black: Callaway Golf unveils new Apex 21 irons with dark finish
• Put to the test: Titleist’s new TSR drivers and fairway woods prove their mettle with the pros
• The secret is out: TaylorMade’s new Stealth utility irons shout out game improvement
• Confidence builder: PING ChipR helps take the uncertainty out of chip shots
• It’s in the genes: Mizuno utilizes swing DNA from golfers to create the JPX 923 irons
• Season of savings: Price drops and markdowns on great golf gear
• Fashion statement: Exclusively at Worldwide Golf Shops, Win At All Costs offers a bold take on apparel
• Proven winner: TaylorMade strikes the perfect balance with all-new Kalea Premier
• Short and sweet: 5 compelling short courses that deserve a little respect
IN THIS ISSUE:
• Tijeras Creek making progress on kikuyu grass project
• Course's golf professionals share the best advice they’ve ever received
• New big burger, drinks unveiled at TJ’s Tap & Table
• Aspiring golfers crowned in Junior Club Championship
• Upcoming class brings yoga and golf together
• New products in the golf shop to help you recover
• Couples Classics and Titleist club fittings on tap
IN THIS ISSUE OF WGS INSIDER:
• Top new wedges that can help improve your short game
• Plus! Three things you need to know when buying a wedge
• Earn store credit with the PARtner Loyalty Rewards program
• When you need to know yardages on the course, you can rely on Bushnell Golf
• U.S. Kids Golf offers equipment made for juniors
• 5 must-have products for summer golf!
• Fred Couples discusses a masterful moment in the WGS Insider podcast
• Old Course at St. Andrews, The Country Club provide two great Open venues
• Extra! New retail locations in Phoenix, Chicago, and Virginia
IN THIS ISSUE OF CLASSIC CLUB INSIDER:
• Troon Challenge qualifier coming to Classic Club in June
• Golf tip: Get more athletic with your pre-shot routine
• 3 fine wines to enjoy at Bellatrix Restaurant
• Wine lunch will feature a taste of Italy
• Celebrate mom and dad with great gear in the golf shop
• Course aerification and maintenance set for summer
• Upcoming events
Worldwide Golf Shops filling a variety of positions at stores across the country
If you’re passionate about golf, have an interest in equipment, apparel and accessories, and are eager to provide top-notch customer service, a job in retail just may be the right fit for you.
Worldwide Golf Shops is currently looking to hire new team members at its 80 locations in 19 states across the country, as well as its online operation.
And due to the surge in golf participation over the past year, the opportunity has never been greater for those looking for a new challenge.
Dial in your putting prowess with the newest flat sticks in the game
The decision to purchase a new putter should not be taken lightly. It’s an important investment — not only because it’s the most-used club in your bag, but also because when it comes to scoring, no club in your bag plays a bigger role.
But fear not. Whether you prefer blade, peripheral-weighted or mallet-style putters, there are plenty of options out there.
From Odyssey’s new line of Ten putters and TaylorMade’s Spider models to Scotty Cameron’s Phantom X and PING’s all-new 2021 putters, there truly is something for everyone looking to get the ball in the hole in just a few less strokes.
Innovation helps keep Titleist thriving
It all started for Titleist with an X-ray machine in Massachusetts and a dedication to making a better, more consistent golf ball. More than 90 years later, the same pursuit of perfection continues to drive the company.
When M.I.T. graduate Phil Young decided in 1930 that a missed putt in a key match was likely caused by imperfections in the core of his golf ball, he set out to make a better product.
Custom club fitting ensures you’re playing the right clubs for your swing
If you want to play your best golf and maximize your enjoyment on the course, one good way is to start with a custom club fitting. Fortunately, Roger Dunn Golf Shops and The Golf Mart locations throughout SoCal offer the service free of charge.
“You have the ability to walk into the store, get fitted, and a lot of times leave with a club fitted to your swing the same day,” explained Erich Mumford, a Regional Manager for Worldwide Golf Shops, parent company of the two retail chains. “If you go back 10 years, most customization had to be done at the factory, and even then, the customization, particularly with woods, was very limited. Today, you can tune the loft, lie and center of gravity location on most drivers and many fairway metals to a player’s swing in the store, and there are a variety of plug-and-play shaft options to further tune it in.”
The time invested is minor in comparison to the potential benefits to your game.
Here’s a look at the golf equipment making a splash in early 2021
The new year is off to a fast and furious start when it comes to golf equipment.
Some of the top names in the game are making a splash in early 2021 with the release of new drivers, fairways, hybrids and irons. Titleist is also rolling out new Pro V1 and Pro V1x golf balls, and there’s a host of new putters to choose from.
Here’s a look at what you can find…
Carlsbad-based Callaway Golf continues to revolutionize the way we play
It’s no surprise that Callaway Golf is always front and center as one of the companies making waves in the industry year after year. What else would you expect from the brand that introduced us to the Big Bertha nearly three decades ago and forever changed the way golf equipment is made?
The last half of 2020 saw Callaway release the Big Bertha B21 drivers, fairways, hybrids and irons, as well as the Big Bertha REVA line of metals, hybrids and irons for women – with REVA complete sets coming early this year.
Lower handicappers were also presented with the company’s Apex muscleback and forged cavity-back and utility irons. To say the offerings were well received would be an understatement, and excitement among Callaway loyalists remains high with new products hitting retail early this year.
Greetings, fellow golfers, and welcome to SoCal Golf Insider! We are Rob Lyon and Eric Marson and we've been reporting and writing about the game throughout the region since 1995. Here, we will provide you with the latest news, features, reviews and more on all things golf in Southern California. Let’s tee it up!
Got some news to share about what's going on in the SoCal Golf community? SHARE IT HERE.